In September, I will have been living in My Mimico Maison for 10 years. I find it hard to believe it's been that long, until I start thinking about how many New Year's Eve parties I've enjoyed here, how many gardening seasons have come and gone, and how many cozy winters evenings by the fireside. Having my chimney rebuilt was the first significant renovation I did to the house, and although it seemed expensive at the time, it has definitely repaid itself in the pleasure it has given me.
Back in the fall, after exterior stucco renovations, I started to get it into my mind that it really was time to get something done with the kitchen, which hadn't been touched in the 10 years I've lived here. Although it was perfectly functional, it was feeling very tired, and despite grand ideas I have to reconfigure the layout, to open up the back of the house, and provide a space for a powder room on the ground floor, I set my goals more modestly, on just a little bit of a spruce up, with a minimal budget.It turned out to be a lot of work of course, but I tackled it during an hour or two here and there of an evening, over the course of several weeks, and completed it with a marathon of effort during the last few days before Christmas. The lights and backsplash were replaced, walls and cabinets painted (thanks to Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations), and crown mouldings applied. I did get some help from a couple of friends, both in labour and through loan of equipment, which must be gratefully acknowledged. There are still a couple of touch-ups to finish, and I haven't decided what to do about flooring yet, but here are some shots before, during and after. I am pleased with how it turned out!
|Although my kitchen cabinets were in good shape, they were a bit grubby and dated looking.|
|I had always disliked this "apron" over the windows, which concealed fluorescent lighting tubes. They were so harsh that I never turned them on.|
|I like this pot rack (Ikea), and it's handy to have things right by the stove, so that has stayed in place.|
|I didn't like the grey tile backsplash, and some of the tiles had cracked over time.|
|Basically, the kitchen was in good shape (which is why I hadn't done anything in 10 years), but the time had come for a change.|
|First, I started taking off cabinet doors, one by one for painting. I used the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations kit, in Espresso. It was very easy to use, and came with good instructions.|
|After I had started work, the ceiling had to be opened up because of an issue in the bathroom.....this ending up delaying progress for several weeks, and I hated living in such a muddle! Uugh!|
|Ta-da! What a transformation! The crown moulding was a challenge, since neither ceiling nor walls nor cabinets have a straight line or consistent angle to them. Thankfully the dark paint conceals and is very forgiving.|
|I got the schoolhouse lamps from the Aladdin's cave that is Der Dietemann Antiques, 747 Broadview Ave. Really pleased with those.|
|I think removing the fluorescent lighting and apron above the windows makes the kitchen look a little bigger. I will need to figure out a window covering though, and I still have not decided what to do with the floor.|
|The matching ceramic chair rail is one of my favourite things in the kitchen! The wall colour is Benjamin Moore, Aura, Dulce de leche, CSP-250.|
|Time to go and rattle some pans in the kitchen!|