Monday 12 September 2011

Fig-o-licious!

After humming and hawing all weekend about whether my first fig was fully ripe or not, I came home from work today to find that the perfect golden-yellow skin was starting to develop a few superficial brown spots, so there was no more waiting to be done.  The result was absolutely delicious......juicy,  softly melting, gloriously pink inside and with a honeyed sweetness that was outstanding!  Quite a result given that the poor plant has to live down in my cold, dank basement for the best part of half a year, when it's minus twenty outside!  I do hope that a few of the more recent baby figs have time to ripen before it gets too chilly.  At least there is plenty of sunshine in the forecast for the rest of this week.  I'm not entirely sure of the variety unfortunately.  It was just marked "Italian fig" when I bought it, but I do wonder from some website searches, given the really delicious honey flavour, if it could be an Italian honey fig, or Lattarula?  If anyone is an expert out there, and can identify from the photo, I'd be glad to hear from you!

Not quite sure of the variety (it was only marked "Italian fig" when I bought the little plant 2 years ago), but the results are delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment