Tuesday 13 November 2012

Quiet City

I know this has nothing to do with my garden, or my Mimico Maison, but after writing about the Copeland clarinet concerto yesterday, I couldn't leave "Quiet City" out of the picture.  I don't think there is anything very useful I can say about this composition for orchestra, with trumpet and cor anglais soloists, other than to note that it truly is one of my absolute favourite compositions of all time.  (although I could tell you that the first time I heard it, I was driving, and was so mesmerized, and profoundly moved, I had to pull over to finish listening to it, for fear of distracted driving).
There is an interesting bit of background to be had on Wikipedia about the origins of the piece.  Otherwise, I simply invite you to listen and reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment