Sunday 1 April 2012

April Fools day

April Fools day proved to be cool and wet, and it was hard to pull myself away from the hearth to go outside and get some fresh air.  I was bitterly disappointed to see so many of the magnolias in Mimico have been hit by frost and won't bloom this year, the result of being too far advanced by the unseasonable warm weather we experienced in early March.   I've seen quite a number of fruit trees in bloom too, which typically wouldn't be the case here until early May....hope they aren't damaged by the frost.

Here are a few spots of colour that broke through the gloom of the day.

photo.JPG
scarlet berberis berries
photo.JPG
cheerful forsythia blossoms
photo.JPG
A blue sea of scillas
photo.JPG
In reality, these were a very delicate pale pink, not visible in this photo
photo.JPG
This new build is about 8 houses down from  mine, but is clearly in a different league to my modest home!   It's nice to rub shoulders with the well healed!

3 comments:

  1. Not sure if it is just me, but I wasn't able to see any of your photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello:
    We have, very happily, chanced upon your most interesting and very varied blog with its eclectic mix of subject matter. Unlike Eastern Europe, where we are, we recognise that the winters in Canada can go on for much, much longer and that spring, when it does appear, is all the more welcome for that.

    Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, we could not get up the images on this particular post but on others, below, there is no problem so, in this instance, we are guessing at the colour breaking through the gloom!!

    We have signed as Followers and have just noticed that you have our dear friend at Gervais de Bédée in your side bar!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your nice note - I'm glad you find my blog interesting. Not sure why the photos are not showing up for you....but I've had the same comment from others. I may need to repost them as smaller images.

    ReplyDelete