Sunday 12 February 2012

Des Pas sur la niege

Toronto has pretty much escaped winter this year, so it was a little disconcerting to wake up to something that should be considered quite typical on Saturday.  A weekend of cold and snow resulted in comfort food, including delicious cheese and beer soup, and a toasty log fire.  Although I've been pleased to get to nearly mid February without having to shovel the driveway, I have been looking for an excuse to make cheese soup (which only works on a frigid, snowy weekend).  I don't have to wait any longer!  

Someone, or something has been bounding across the snow in my backyard!
The birds are loving these Rudbeckia seedheads at the moment
When I first moved to Toronto from the UK, I found the constant winter snow and frigid weather to be quite "exotic" and not entirely unexciting!  
  Please enjoy this melancholy musical depiction of the season, Des Pas Sur la Niege, Claude Debussy:

8 comments:

  1. Hi, I thought I would say hello to my not to distant Northern neighbor. We too have the snow and I am glad it finally arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello to you too! I just had a quick visit to your blog and am blown away by the beautiful photography! I'm really looking forward to reading it in more detail. Lovely work!

      Delete
  2. We have had so little snow here - and that has been fine by me. I don't know what problems that may cause for the Spring growing season, that will soon be known! Your photos of the snow were very nice. You must admit it does look good, but for me one or two days is enough. I want Warmth! and Spring! Enjoyed the visit - soup sounded good. jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome from another Toronto area gardener! I stumbled upon your blog through Jean's Garden and will drop in from time to time. Unfortunately, snow hasn't lasted on the ground too long this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah snow! Here in NYC, I was beginning to forget what it looks like!

    Hope you're warm and cozy.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a funny old winter this year, and the snow went almost as soon as it came! I'm hoping the fact that the ground is barely frozen might be an advantage when spring really turns up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lack of snow in Toronto, does make you think, still waiting to add a similar theme myself. Loved your pictures and just had to click the link for that very weird soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese and beer soup is one of those things that you just have to try.....it's completely delicious, but it only works on a day that is frigid and snowy, and is best served by firelight, which usually works out well for me, since Toronto is typically at minus 20 for most of January, and my house is old enough to still have a lovely big old open fireplace in the living room. The soup is best when you use some nippy cheese, and a beer that isn't too bitter, and served with a good chunk of crusty bread, and maybe a few frizzled bits of bacon on top. Getting hungry just thinking about it!

      Delete